5. March of the Pigs

 Materials: Drawn on a large sketch pad using colored pencil.

Process: The person and hands are based on reference pictures I took of myself. I drew a few hands in my sketchbook based on my reference pictures and drew over these sketches many times to get a crowd. For the text I printed out the text on a piece of computer paper, drawing over this on graphite paper on top of what would become the final piece.

Ideas: I tried to reflect the ideas of the song, which are about mob mentality and consumerism. The main character feels lost in a world where the people around him exploit him in a world seemingly built off of materialism, greed, and eternal unfulfillment. The composition of this piece is based on the line in the song, “Take the skin and peel it back, / now doesn’t it make you feel better?” In the context of the song he is hurting himself but in this piece it shows that from his point of view it is the madness of the crowds and the hollowness inspired by materialism that causes him to do so, reflecting the main ideas of the song. The red and white billboard is an allusion to real-life corporations and advertising.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1. Concept Page

Progress